Saturday, November 22, 2008

A THRILLING MOMENT!!!


I have always felt there was great value in handwork, be it knitting my personal passion or what ever. Now I know for sure this is true. In the small town where I live where the recession has really arrived here is what happened on Thursday evening. It was suggested to me by a woman on the Elf Fund committee that I should donate something hand knit for the charity auction. This charity helps our elderly and needy children year round. Called "The Elf Fund" 2008 is the 25th anniversary year. They choose special items for the live auction, those they feel will bring the higher prices. Also there was Chinese auction and a silent auction.

Many of us have spent hours and hours working on an item only to find that when we give it to charity they don't even receive the price of the yarn. I found this not to be true. After being reviewed by the committee I was told this would do very well. This is a gala affair in this small town and my husband and I love to attend. I did not feel I had a lot of money to donate this year so I did what I thought would help them. I donated a Shetland Shawl. The pattern is from Gemma Ord. A very old and traditional one.

This item brought $500.00 at the auction. I can not tell you how thrilled I was. I now have started something and been warned that they want another shawl next year. I shall be pleased to answer this request. This event certainly will be the highlight of my holiday season. To be able to help those less fortunate with my most favorite thing to do.

When you receive a request such as this take the time to ask what you should do and how it will be sold, then knit accordingly. It is to me the act of giving of ones self.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That is wonderful! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! The best compliment ever!