Wednesday, March 3, 2010

REDUCE THE STASH!!!!






I have been very busy working at the stash reduction here. I still see no progress or empty containers but at least I am trying. I had a request from our local library for some knit items to sell at the upcoming fund raising boutique. So here is what they asked for. I made a neck warmer with yarn from Knit Picks Palette. Nice stuff but since I purchased the sample box I have one ball of many colors. This was a great way to use them up. Made me feel good about that purchase. It is nice yarn and after a quick bath lovely and soft. This and the matching lace cuffs were the requested items by Maxine the chairman.

My new Interweave knits arrived and I loved the "rose window beret" I used Point from Lana Grosso. Perfect to knit the hat as it is 96% cotton and 4% elastic. What better blend for a spring hat than that. I liked knitting with it. The little bit of elastic gave the hat body and I know the ribbing will hold its shape. I have no idea if this yarn is still on the market. Then I thought I need a matching scarf. Now here is my easy easy scarf pattern. I used a #9 needle and the hat was knit much smaller.

MY TWISTY SCARF:
Cast on 260 stitches, #9 needle or at least 3 sizes larger than yarn calls for. Here is the TWIST be sure you twist when you join. Certainly an easy thing to do with so many stitches. Then knit 4 rounds, purl 4 rounds, knit 4 rounds and bind off. Does not come any easier. This loops around the neck more than once and has a really nice look to it. I think I shall make some more of these quick and easy as well as fun scarves as gifts. Try one they might help reduce your stash.

The cashmere hat:

I found a beautiful ball of cashmere in the stash along with a pattern called Katonah Kap designed by Hatie Clingerman. I would happily give you the address to order but can you believe Sammy (for newer readers my silly dog) has given up knitting and taken to eating the patterns. So the lower portion of the pattern sheet is long gone. It is a fantastic design and used what I think feels like a sport weight yarn. Really fun and quick to knit. So warm and soft and it goes in the mail today for Lillie.

In less than two weeks I have made some progress and wait until you read the next post on the sewing projects. Never dull here even in winter when it has snowed for days on end. We get a bit of snow and then it melts a tad and then here it comes again.

Hubby is working 3 to 11 this week and next and I try and make good use of the evenings. Naturally all the Olympic TV added to my knitting time.

Now all of you readers out there dig into that stash and knit something small and use some of that stuff up. I used to think I needed to save favorite yarns as they became discontinued. How foolish they are always making wonderful new stuff.

No comments: